Thursday, November 9, 2006

it was bound to happen....

Well....my first cold of the season is well underway. I've had a sore throat for a few days and have developed a cough over the past 2. Urgh.

My parents are coming up this weekend to see if my hubby "the computer god" can do anything with my mom's computer. She's been frustrated with it for a while now and I'm afraid we're going to get a call from her saying "Never mind about looking at my laptop. I've just thrown it in the creek." I actually would only be marginally surprised.

I got a phone call from my dad this morning, apparently being stuck in traffic is always a good time for calling me! Hey...I'm not complainin'! It's rare that my dad and I talk for more than 5 minutes on the phone. Neither one of us is much of a phone person. Last night, I called for my mom and she wasn't home and duh, I knew that but totally forgot, but I ended up going on and on about my "French learnin' ". He was actually interested, which somewhat surprised me!

Anyway, back to the point, he said something along the lines of "Tell (the hubby) not to worry about looking at your mama's computer. We're just going to get a new one and stop fussin' with her old one." I've gotta tell ya'....I saw this one comin'. Everytime either one of us (hubby or me) gave advice about speeding her computer up or other improvements, she'd say something like "Don't you think I just need to get a new computer?". hee hee.

Subtle.

I'm pretty sure I've passed on my fear of electronics to my mom. Can you do that? Pass things on backwards? Granted, this laptop (that I got last Christmas) hasn't given me any problems...yet... Pretty much all other electronic things hate me. What? You want an example? Well okay...if you insist. In...let's see....2000, I think, Hubby bought me my very first brand new laptop (for Christmas, nonetheless). I pulled it out of the box and plugged it in to do all the things you need to do to get the software installed and all that....and Y'all....this damn computer SHOCKED ME! Like, with electricity and everything. SHOCKED! ME! And not when I turned it on....just randomly. It was like the laptop was mad at me!

Me: (all excited) Oh, I think I'll check my email on my beloved new computer!

Laptop: You want yer damn email? *SHOCK* Here's yer damn email! *SHOCK*

Me: (jumping) OW! What the hell?!

Hubby: (laughing) What the hell are you doing over there?

Laptop: (evil computer laugh) MUAH HA HA HA HA!!!

(later the next day)

Best Buy Geek Squad Dorks: Uhh...(picking nose)....sorry....we can't duplicate the problem here. (soup nazi voice) NO HELP FOR YOU! Oh, and sorry, we broke this little plastic piece off your laptop, but since it's just superficial, we're not fixing it....or paying to fix it.....and oh yeah, we lost your power supply cord.

Me: (keying the Geek Squad cars)

Me:
(eye twitching)

Me: (looking like I styled my hair by sticking my finger into an electrical outlet)

Everyone Else: (not believing me that my computer actually shocks me randomly)

So...yes. Of course I think electronic things are out to get me. But really. They are. Seriously. (looking over my shoulder at my iPod) Don't get any ideas!

So I'm pretty sure my mom is going to end up with a new computer. Hopefully one that won't try and style her hair for her. hee hee

No comments: